Glamping at Old Bidlake Farm in West Dorset is situated in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty known as the Marshwood Vale, three miles from the dramatic Jurassic Coast. We offer the chance of sleeping under canvas, close to nature, free from the stresses of modern life. This is hassle free camping, with everything we can think of to make your stay relaxing, comfortable and lots of fun. Our four traditional canvas tents sit sheltered by hedges and wildflowers in a one acre section of pasture field, with backdrop views of Pilsdon Pen, Colmers and Lewesdon hills. A one minute stroll through the orchard leads you to the shower block and communal kitchen. There is plenty of space for children to run free, ride bikes or go pony trekking at the riding stables next door, whilst you sit back and unwind. Don’t worry that the price to pay for this rural idyll will be a scarcity of culture and activity. We are two miles from the vibrant Market Town of Bridport, a hub for art, music and food lovers and just a ten minute drive to the beach.
THE BELL TENTS
As you drive down the bumpy farm track and through the smallholding there is little to prepare you for the breath-taking panorama of the Marshwood Vale that the camping field enjoys. The tents are spread over an acre of a further six acre pasture field. Each tent sits in a generous quarter of an acre pitch to ensure privacy and tranquillity. Well away from main roads and as a car-free area the field is a safe and secure place for children to become free-range.
Our four beautiful bell tents include
- One double futon for adults
- Two single foam chair beds for children (an additional bed can be supplied for a third small child or there is space for you to bring a travel cot for a baby or toddler)
- Cotton bottom sheets
- Plenty of cushions and blankets
- Hot water bottles
- Two lanterns the tent can stay illuminated and still allow for any necessary night time excursions
- Family size cool box with ice packs that can be replenished whenever necessary
- Water carrier
- All the camping equipment you require, such as pots and pans, crockery, cutlery is neatly stored away in wooden wine boxes
You will just need to bring your own towels, pillows, sleeping bags or duvets
Each pitch also has its own
- Wood and charcoal burning Wild Stove to cook your campfire meals
- Picnic bench to dine under the stars
- Cotton stripy deckchairs and windbreaks
- A useful cotton tarp for you to put up should you wish
Guests are welcome to drive onto the field at the beginning and end of their stay in order to load and unload their belongings (weather conditions permitting) and then park their car at the parking area adjacent to the Barn, just a minute walk away from the field, at all other times. There are also several wheelbarrows available to transport your belongings and many guests prefer this option.
Our lovely 1970’s retro caravan is decorated with pretty pastels and eclectic charm. The dining area converts to a small double, so is a perfect cosy romantic hideaway for a couple. The Chaffinch can also be pitched next to your Bell Tent to provide additional sleeping accommodation. Ideal if you have teenagers wanting a little extra space or if grandparents would like to join you on your family camping adventure. She is perfect as extra accommodation for whole site bookings. Please contact us to check availability.
CAMPING FIELD FACILITIES
There are two wooden wash huts on the field, housing eco camping toilets, ideal for toddlers late night toilet trips. There is also a communal Field Shelter, providing a little shaded cover when necessary, from either sunshine or rain. Next to the shelter is a covered cooking area with two gas stoves and the portable WOOD FIRED PIZZA OVEN.
A minute stroll through the orchard takes you to the Barn extension where the shower block and communal kitchen facilities are located.
THE KITCHEN houses two small fridge freezer, two double hobs, a small electric oven, a microwave, kettle and toaster. There is a large kitchen cupboard for storing food and several power points for charging phones etc. There is also a stove top smoker, great for cooking your catch from the local mackerel fishing trips. You will find a constant supply of hot water for washing up, as well as basic provisions such as salt and pepper, olive oil, sugar, tea, coffee and hot chocolate. A covered eating area with a large communal table is especially popular with groups as a perfect place to dine together.
There are shelves of guidebooks, maps and tourist information to help you plan your holiday adventures and a selection of board games and children’s books. There is also a covered area within the barn for you to securely store your bike, kit and boots, a washing machine in the Potting Shed and a drying room at the house.
The campsite rubbish and recycling area is found adjacent to the barn and there is also a washing line and a large covered storage area for bikes.
WASH ROOMS The two private washrooms each have a flush toilet, hand basin and electric shower.
THE POTTING SHED
You will find the Potting Shed adjacent to the polytunnel and close to the vegetable patch, a convenient location for us to stock the shelves with any freshly picked produce (as and when seasonally available). In addition you will find basic camping provisions such as firewood, firelighters and of course marshmallows.
The Potting Shed also houses a freezer where you can replenish your cool box ice packs, there are sockets for you to charge the lanterns and a large fridge freezer for communal use (more often as not is serves as the campsite drinks chiller!).
There is access to a hose, bucket and sponge for washing down bikes or boots and we have first aid and puncture repair kits in the Potting Shed.
GROUPS AND CLUBS
During the low and mid seasons we are happy to tailor bespoke breaks to the specific requirements of walking and cycling clubs to include the provision of breakfasts, packed lunches and suppers if desired.
- The Jurassic Coast – 95 miles of stunning coastline stretching from Dorset to East Devon
- Eype’s Mouth just 3 miles away is a non-commercial pebble beach
- Seatown at Chideock shadowed by the towering 191 m high Golden Cap Charmouth, famed for its fossils and the location of the Heritage Coast Centre
- Elegant town of Lyme Regis, where you can stroll along the 13th century harbour the Cobb
- Seaside town of Seaton
- Sidmouth a regency seaside town with great character
- Bustling harbour of West Bay (location of award winning drama Broadchurch)
- National Trust beach at Burton Bradstock
- Abbotsbury with Chesil Beach, the setting for Ian McEwan’s novel ‘On Chesil Beach’ and the location of the Fleet Nature Reserve
- Weymouth, traditionalseaside resort and the venue for the 2012 Olympic Sailing Events
- Lulworth Cove and the most photographed landmark of the Jurassic Coast, the Durdle Door
- The two highest points in Dorset, Lewesdon Hill (279m) and Pilsdon Pen (277m) both Iron Age Hill Forts, provide the backdrop to our camping field and can be ascended by several footpaths
- Bridport has acquired a reputation for being ‘Notting Hill on Sea’
- Picturesque village of Abbotsbury
- Forde Abbey
- Mapperton House
- Many of our visitors have enjoyed bountiful fishing trips on the Dawn Mist at West Bay
- Our neighbours at Bidlake Riding Stables offer riding lessons and hacks to suit all ages and abilities
- Cyclists and Walkers – we are located directly on the National Cycle Network 2 and the Tour de Manche and with footpaths passing through the farm which lead you to the Monarchs Way, Liberty Trail and the South West Coast Path Old Bidlake could not be more perfectly placed for those who love the great outdoors
FURNISHED BELL TENTS
From £225 to £325 Weekend 3 nights
From £225 to £325 Mid Week 4 nights
From £350 to £550 Weekly 7 nights
Prices are per bell tent (to sleep maximum of two adults and three children) and are fully inclusive of all camping equipment and a starter pack of wood for your Ezy Stove
BRING YOUR OWN BELL TENT (subject to availability)
From £30.00 to £40 per night
The Chaffinch (sml double,sml single) £50.00 per night
DISCLAIMER The information displayed about this business is a advertisement. Love Glamping makes no warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the advertisement or any linked or associated information. The information on this business is provided and by the business named on this page.